Salisbury, North Carolina
Wallace Annex, known by the family as “The Annex,” served as a warehouse for the Wallace and Sons Wholesale Dry Goods it was connected to.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps suggest that the warehouse was built in at least two phases. It’s not on the 1902 map, but it appears on the 1907 map. The Salisbury Evening Post described the building as “an immense building” and “most spacious of its kind between Baltimore and Atlanta” in an article in 1906. The second phase expanded the annex; it’s not on the 1913 map, but appears on the 1922 map. The maps show a large dwelling was replaced during the second phase of construction; that dwelling can be seen on the Salisbury maps from 1885 through 1913.
With all the reports of unexplained activity, we continue to look into its history and the dwelling that was torn down to build it. Considering its size, was the prior dwelling used as a tenement house? And since some believe that Dr. F.L. Daniels, Salisbury’s only black doctor at that time, is responsible for some of the activity, we can’t help but wonder how close was his office?
In the past few years, the facade has served as restaurant space, most notably Brick Street Tavern, and most recently Mambo Grill & Tapas.
1 Investigation at this location: