Salisbury, North Carolina
During the early 20th century, days when everyone traveled by train, the Southern Railway commissioned Frank Milburn to create a building to serve as the hub of Salisbury’s rail traffic. The mission-style station, completed in 1908, is considered one of his best designs. A model of the depot is on display at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington D.C.
By 1979, the rail station was no longer in heavy usage, and it sadly closed its doors. In 1984, Historic Salisbury Foundation (HSF) purchased the building after it fell into disrepair. Over $3.1 million was spent restoring the station into a beautiful event space called Historic Salisbury Station, and it became a key to the revitalization of the surrounding area, which is now home to cultural activities, arts, antiques, and offices.
1 Investigation at this location: